Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Gen 2 Ch 1

Kayla could hardly wait to try out Amber's new car.
"Let's go, Amb! This is so cool! Where shall we go?"
"I know just the place. Come on!"
Amber grabbed a large envelope from the desk, and they were off.


"The town hall?"
"Yep! I'm gonna apply for the architectural design job they have open."
"Geez Amb, is that all you think about? Work work work?"
"Pretty much. Wish me luck, I'm so nervous. What if they don't like my resume?"
"Don't worry, you'll do great. Go get 'em, tiger!"


Amber took a deep breathe, and walked inside, her heart pounding. But she needn't have worried. They loved her student portfolio, and offered her a job on the spot.


Her first client wanted his child's room redone. He looked pleased when she called him "Mr. Racket", but the truth was she couldn't remember which of the many Racket sons this one was. But then his eyes narrowed as he did a double take.
"Say... you're that Rotter fella's kid, aren't you. Don't try and deny it, you have his look about you. You aren't gonna steal my stuff, are you?"
"No, Mr. Racket, I assure you I ... err.. I'm bonded and licensed, here... uh.. here's the paperwork." She was angry at herself for being so nervous as she rifled through the papers in her briefcase. She had been a bit dismayed when she found out she would have to actually speak with clients on a daily basis. She'd been hoping she could just go in, do the design work, and leave again, but it just didn't work that way.


When the job was done, she handed him one of her new evaluation cards. There were five ratings, each with a box next to it. At the top was 'Great', then 'Good', 'OK', 'Bad', and then at the very  bottom, 'I Can't Live in this Squalor'. She watched with trepidation as he filled out the card, and was elated that he had given her a 'Good'! On her very first job!
But she decided she definitely needed to improve her "people skills", so she signed up for the course they were offering at the town hall, "How to Make Friends and Influence People" - it sounded like it was just what she needed.


After a string of good ratings, her reputation was growing, and she snagged her first rich client, Zo Wheloff. She wanted a redo of her teenage son's bedroom, so Amber took copious notes.


And measured everything at least three times. Everything had to be perfect!


So she was utterly mortified when Zo handed the card back with "I can't live in this squalor" checked off.
"Please fix it immediately!"
Amber frantically looked back through her notes. What had she done wrong? Just then Zo's teenage son arrived home from school... and following him through the door was... his twin brother? Zo had two teenage sons! Amber could have kicked herself for being so stupid. How could she have missed that? She had put only one bed in the room. She quickly added another bed, and begged Zo to reconsider.
"Hmm... well, it did turn out good in the end... I guess I can change it to a good."



Her next client was none other that her dad!
"Meet me this afternoon, Hon, I need your help with a project."
The address he gave was a little one room shack way out in the swamp. Amber was surprised to see him pull up in a stretch limo. He must be doing well. She couldn't help but notice how slow he was moving, however. Age was catching up to him.



"Don't touch anything on the outside, Hon. This is gonna be my little hideout. Only you and my driver know about it. Just make the inside nice and secure and comfortable for me."


Amber knew her dad's taste in colors, lots of blacks and reds. She ordered the best security door she could find, as well. She wondered if the bat cloth on the end table was a bit over the top, but her dad loved it. In fact, he loved the whole place.


"You did that drawing, Hon? I'm impressed. The skulls on the arms are a nice touch."

"Stay for lunch, Hon?"
He filled out her card, but made her promise not to turn it in.
"This job is our little secret, okay?"
"Sure daddy. I'm glad you like it."
"Well, Hon, I used to worry about ya, sometimes I thought ya just weren't tough enough to make it in the rat race, but I gotta admit, you've surprised me. I'm really proud of ya."

Not long after, the Grim Reaper came to collect Garnet. Amber would miss her terribly, but she looked like she was happy to go, after a long fulfilling life. Sinbad passed away shortly after, asleep in his new hideout. His driver told Amber when he came to deliver Sinbad's old pick-up.
"He wanted you to have this."
She wasn't sure what to do with it, so she parked in in the garage and left it there.

Amber buried her mom and dad next to each other in the Twinbrook graveyard. She knew they would have wanted it that way. Kayla, still her best friend, came to mourn with her.

True to her high school dreams, she had married Rob and was expecting her first child.
"Hey, Amb do you think you could make me a nursery? I'd really appreciate it."

Kayla's new baby was adorable, and Kayla loved her new nursery. Amber gave her a drawing of a giraffe she had done especially for a baby gift, and Kay was ecstatic. She gave Amber her first 'Great' review. Amber wasn't sure if the job was really that great, or if it was just because Kay was her best friend, but she was happy to add the review to her growing portfolio.

"So, when are you going to settle down and get married, Amb?"
Amber sighed.
"Not gonna happen, sorry to disappoint."
"Awww."

For, while Amber loved hanging out with Kay, and cuddling Kay's little one made her feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

... Even more, she loved coming home to an empty house, and sitting in her newly decorated living room, and being all alone. When she had redone the house after her mom and passed away, Kay had one comment.
"It's very.... red."
"Ha ha ha... that's just what my mom always said about my taste. All day I have to do what my clients want. Well, this is what I want, and I like it this way."

Kay's little Jackie was growing like a weed. Kay insisted that Amber visit on the weekends.
"You just can't sit alone in your house all weekend, it's not good for you."
Amber begged to differ, but still, she enjoyed her time at Kay and Rob's.

Kay was expecting again, and Amber was glad to help her friend out by spending time with Jackie.


She had just gotten home from one of her weekend visits, when she got a phone call that almost knocked her off her feet.
"Hello, Amber Moonstone, please," said the professional male voice on the other end.
"This is she. How can I help you?"
"I'm so glad I was able to reach you. This is social services in Sunset Valley. I am calling in regards to your sister, Jana Jolina."
"Uh, I'm sorry, you must be mistaken, I don't have a sister."
"Hmm... excuse me one moment." Amber could hear the sound of papers being shuffled in the background.
"According to our records, your father was Sinbad Rotter, is that not correct?"
"Um yes..." She didn't like the direction this conversation was heading.
"Then Jana was indeed your sister, or half sister, to be exact. Her birth certificate shows her mother as Jamie Jolina of Sunset Valley, and her father as Sinbad Rotter of Twinbrook."
"Oh, I see...uh...yes, my father did spend some time in Sunset Valley years ago. And... uh ..you said 'was'?" Amber felt about to faint.
"Oh, pardon me, I am getting ahead of myself. I am sorry to have to inform you that your sister and her husband were killed in a freak lightening storm recently."
"That's... terrible." Amber didn't know quite what to say.
"But the main reason I am calling is that they left behind two children. We have been able to determine that you are their only living relative, and as such we would like to give you the chance to adopt them. Children always do better when placed with relatives, we have found."
"Uh... how old are they?" Amber was shell-shocked.
"The girl, Leah, is six, and there is a two-year-old boy, Jasper."
As is from a distance, Amber heard herself saying,"Of course I'll take them."
"Wonderful, I will drive them down myself tomorrow. I'll see you then. Have a nice day."


"Here you go, Ms. Moonstone. Have a good day."
"Wait, I have some ques....." but the social worker seemed to be in a terrible rush. He quickly walked back out the door and she was alone with her two new charges.
"Hi! You must be Leah."
Leah was so sweet; she smiled and pointed to the basket.
"That's my little brother. I think he needs a hug."


"Hello there, Jasper. Welcome home! And come here, Leah, how about a group hug?"
Leah broke into a huge smile, and Amber smiled too, as she held her new family close.
It wasn't what she would have chosen for her life, but she would definitely throw her whole heart into being a mom to her poor sister's children.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Amber was able to make peace with Sinbad before he died.
    Father/child relationships tend to play a central role in my stories, even if I don't start out intending it. I like what you did with Sinbad and Amber.
    And nice twist on where the adopted kids came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I was trying to figure out how I could reconcile Sin and Amber, then that job actually popped up for her, and I was like, aha!

    ReplyDelete