Monday, February 11, 2013

Gen 9 Ch 1


Everything had started out so perfectly, it was hard to say when things began to go wrong. When Pascal returned to France after graduation, he asked Rose Beryl to accompany him, and she said yes. It sounded to her like the perfect life. Pascal's dream was to become a great artist, and visions of travel and parties and exotic places filled her head, remembering the life her mother had led as a famous artist.



Pascal and Rose moved into a quaint little cottage in Champs Les Sims, just down the road from his parents.



They were soon married. It was a storybook wedding in every way.



Rose's old friend Ginger showed up as the ceremony came to a conclusion, neighing her approval. It seemed to Rose an especially good omen.



Even the wedding cake was absolutely perfect, and Pascal gave a wonderful speech detailing all the many ways he loved her.




And the ring.. oh my. Rose couldn't stop admiring the sparkling diamond gracing her finger. Yes, she really was married. It was the start of a perfect life.



Her wedding night was good... not great, but still good. She had heard that wedding nights many times happened that way. It certainly wasn't anything to worry about.



She gradually renewed her relationship with Ginger, and had a small stable built for her behind the cottage.



Pascal settled into his painting career, and soon became known in the village for his artistic portrayals of the local scenery.



And in no time at all, it seemed, they were expecting their first child. Pascal was more than thrilled. Rose knew she should be happy, but it had all happened so quickly; she felt like her life was spinning out of control. She wasn't sure she was ready to be a mom. Pascal couldn't understand her lack of enthusiasm, and gently chided her for it now and again.



She tried to explain, but as she didn't quite understand it herself, it was hard to communicate her despondence.
"For one thing, I can't ride Ginger any more."
"But, sweetheart, it's only for a few months, and you know it's not good for the baby. Besides, you know I don't really like you riding anyway. It's way too dangerous."



Rose just sighed heavily, and settled down in the rocking chair to pass time reading. She had learned that once Pascal got an idea in his head, it was impossible to change his mind. And maybe he was right. Things just had to get better after the baby was born. He couldn't use the baby as an excuse to keep her from doing what she wanted then. She'd be able to get out of the house, explore the nearby ruins even. And go back to riding.



Things did get a little better after Crystal was born. For one thing, Rose was way too busy to even think of doing anything but feeding diapering and rocking with Crystal late into the night.



But as little Crystal grew and demanded less attention, the itch inside her began to grow again. She wanted to get out of the house, meet new people, explore new places, throw a party or two - or three. She had loved her wedding party; she had planned the whole thing, and it had gone down flawlessly.
"Hey, Pascal, come dance with me! It's smustle time! Let's par-tay!"
'Uh.. Rose, don't you think you're getting a little too old for that kind of behavior? You're a mother now, where's your dignity?"



"Grr... Dignity smignity. I just want to have a little fun. I want to dance, explore, throw a party. What's wrong with that, Pascal? What the hell is wrong with that??
"Come, come. Calm down, my little Rosie. You're just overtired, aren't you? Get some sleep, I'll watch Crystal. You'll see, you'll feel better in the morning."
Ooooh, she hated being patronized. She didn't want to cause a scene, though, so she she bit her tongue, and headed off to bed.



She didn't feel better in the morning, though. If anything, she felt more frustrated than she had the night before. She rose early, and when she had put Crystal back to bed after her early morning feeding, she left the still snoring Pascal a short note, saddled up Ginger, and set out to have herself an adventure.

 Still stewing over their conversation of the night before, she didn't notice where Ginger was taking her until she saw the brightly colored tents and booths scattered over the usually sedate village square.



A summer fair had come to town! She tried out the love machine, and it registered off the scale. She wondered how that was possible, when she was doubting right now whether she even loved Pascal at all. Maybe love was still waiting for her out there somewhere?



She debated whether to spend five simoleons at the kissing booth, but, what the hell... it was all in fun, right? And oooh boy, was it fun.



She bought herself an ice cream, and got her face painted, and listened to all the latest gossip. It was the most fun she'd had since... well, since her wedding day. The day's hot gossip was that a small band of gypsies was camped just outside town - they were the ones who had brought the fair to the sleepy French village, and they had brought a fortune teller with them! You had to visit the camp to have your fortune told, though.



Undaunted, she decided to search out the gypsy encampment and see for herself. Sure enough, there it was, just outside town at the base of the hills - the fortune teller's wagon, along with several colorful tents where the rest of the troupe slept.



Rose hesitated a moment at the doorway to the wagon, wondering if anyone was even there. It looked deserted. She was about to turn around and leave, when....
"Come in, deary!" she heard a woman call out in an ancient, quavering voice.



So she gingerly parted the old lace curtain, and stepped inside the dingy interior of the brightly painted wagon.
Rose Beryl would never forget the hour she spent with the mysterious old gypsy woman. She told of a bright future, of travel and adventure, and most of all, true love. Rose stayed for a long time after her fortune was told, asking questions about the tarot cards. Something stirred deep inside when she handled the cards, and she remembered the words of her mother's friend. 'You have a gift, use it well.'
It was late in the afternoon when she finally made her farewell, and promised to return the next day, for the gypsy woman had promised to teach Rose her craft.



But Pascal was not pleased when she related to him all the adventures she had had that day. He was especially adamant about the prospective fortune telling lesson.
"I will not have my wife hob-nobbing about with gypsies." He spat as he pronounced the last word, making it sound almost like a curse.



Rose had had enough. She had tried to be accommodating, and mindful of Pascal's wishes, but this was too much.
"I don't care what you say, I'm going back tomorrow, and you can't stop me."



The next morning she saddled up Ginger, and galloped out the the camp. She spent a wonderful afternoon in the company of Esmeralda, the old gypsy woman, and began her study of the constellations, and the inner workings of horoscope predictions. It was fascinating! Sadly it was the last time she would visit the little wagon.



For when she arrived home, Pascal announced that he had taken a position at the Nectary, producing paintings of the grounds and buildings to be sold in the gift shop. Early every morning he packed up his art supplies, and drove out to the Nectary, and didn't return until dusk.



He forbid Rose Beryl to hire a babysitter, and so she sat home alone, with only Crystal and Ginger for company. He would call multiple times during the day to 'make sure she was okay', but Rose knew he was checking to make sure she was at home, and not out somewhere, maybe even having a little fun.



When it came time for Crystal's birthday, Pascal never said she couldn't have a party, so she decided to go all out. She even hired a magician. Crystal was too small to remember, but Rose would never forget the first time she saw Stefan the Magnificent,  floating a foot off the ground with no visible means of support.



Rose watched in amazement as he made objects of all sorts appear out of thin air. She also noticed how handsome he was, and she smiled a little, wondering what his life must be like, as a traveling magician. She was sure it was full of adventure; with those looks, he must have a girl in every town.



Crystal clapped excitedly when he made a toy car appear, and he handed it to her with a smile and a flourish.
"A present for the birthday girl! Here you go."
It was an epic party. It was too bad Pascal missed most of it; he returned home from the Nectary just in time to see Rose Beryl settling up with the magician.



"Thanks so much, ah.. Stefan is it? Your act is amazing."
"Thank you, Rose Beryl. It was a pleasure. You do know how to throw a party, let me tell you. I work plenty of them, and yours was by far the best I've been to."
"Oh, and by the way, I have a message for you, from Esmerelda. Our troupe is leaving tomorrow. She invites you to travel with us. She says you have a gift, and you shouldn't waste it."
"Ah.. I would love to..." Rose could hardly believe what she was saying.
"But I couldn't possibly leave Crystal, or Ginger, either," She concluded, tears in her eyes.
"Esmerelda says your daughter and the mare are welcome as well. The troupe keeps several horses - there will be room in one of the trailers."



Without thinking, she threw her arms around the magician's neck in grateful thanks.
"Oh, thank you. Tell her I'll try my best to be there!"



Pascal was waiting for her inside. She could tell from the look on his face he wasn't happy. She would have to be careful, if she didn't want to tip her hand. If he knew what she was up to, he'd do everything in his power to stop her.
"What was that dirty gypsy doing in my yard?"
"Wha..what do you mean gypsy? That was just the magician that I hired for Crystal's party. I was paying him for the job."



"You knew he was a gypsy, didn't you? Don't you lie to me!"
"No, I swear, I didn't know. I'm sorry!" I began to cry for real. I was so afraid he would figure out my plans. I guess I was believable enough, because he started in on a different tack.
"How could you have invited a stranger into my home without my permission?"
I wanted to scream that he didn't own us, that I didn't need his permission to have a birthday party. But for my plan to work, I had to smooth things over.
"I'm sorry, you're right. I.. I just didn't think. Please forgive me."
Finally satisfied at my groveling, he headed off to bed.
"I'll be there in a little while," I l called after him. "It smells like Crystal needs a diaper change."




When I was sure he was sound asleep, I tiptoed in and left a note on the bedside stand. Then I quietly picked up a sleeping Crystal from her crib, led a sleepy-eyed Ginger from her stall, and with a small backpack of essential things, slowly made my way down the silent village streets to the edge of town.



Bright and early the next morning, I met Stefan at the camp.
"Glad you made it! I'll let Esmerelda know you're here."
I watched as the troupe expertly packed the tents, and loaded the horses into the horse trailer. Then they hitched the trailer and Esmerelda's wagon to their two large pick-up trucks, and we were ready to go.



And so, on a crisp fall day, the first day of fall, I picked up Crystal, and followed Stefan into the little red wagon. As we bumped along the road, and I watched Champs Les Sims disappear into the distance, I thought of something that made me giggle out loud.
"What's so funny?" asked Stefan.
"I didn't even ask where we're going!"



2 comments:

  1. I don't like Pascal, what a controlling git he turned out to be! I'm glad Rose has left him and I hope he doesn't come after her and spoil things for her again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Pascal turned out to be rotten. Wonder where's she's headed now!

    ~Margaret Pendragon

    ReplyDelete