Sunday, May 8, 2011

Gen 6 Ch 3

Random Rolls for Generation 7 - Coal
Couple
Two children
Primary career: Science
Seconday career: Mixologist
Goal: Awesome
Just for fun: Homemade

*********************************

"It's just you and me, sweetie baby. And your Auntie Jade, of course."
Emerald was sure that Coal was the sweetest baby there ever was, and his sunny disposition made for mostly happy times.


Only sometimes, Emerald would find herself watching him sleep, and a silent tear would slip from the corner of her eye. He reminded her so much of his daddy, and a love that was not meant to be.

In no time at all it seemed, it was time for Coal's birthday. Emerald was relieved to see that he had not inherited his fathers vampirism.

Jade threw him a huge party, party animal that she was, and all the cousins were there. Tia was a teenager now, dancing away as pretty as a picture, and Jessica was expecting for a third time.

The twins had started school recently. Emerald couldn't help but notice that all of Peri's children were vampires like their mother, and wondered how her little Coal had escaped the same fate.


Jade had invited her new friend to the party.
"So tell me, Osvaldo. What's it like, being a famous doctor?"
"It's such a good feeling, knowing I'm really helping people. I don't think much about the fame."
"Oh, I know what you mean. I would love to be able to help people like you do."
"We have an opening right now, in our pre-med program. I'll put in a good word for you, if you like."



"Oh, could you, Osvaldo? I would be eternally grateful. In fact, let me show you just how grateful I am.."


Even William couldn't resist Jade's invitation. Emerald was a little surprised; she hadn't seen him since the day Coal was born. She tried once more to change his mind.
"Coal deserves to know his father."
"We have been over all this before. You know how I feel."
His voice was low and full of regret. He looked so miserable, rubbing his forehead, that Emerald didn't have the heart to press him further.



Even so, he lingered on until the rest of the guests had long since gone, not saying much, but obviously not wanting to leave either. Emerald almost convinced herself he would change his mind and stay.


Finally he brushed her lips lightly with his, like he had so often done before.
"I must go. Goodbye, Miss Emerald. If you need anything, let me know."

The next day Jade started her new job at the hospital. Emerald was thrilled that her sister had finally launched herself into a promising career. Jade was thrilled that Osvaldo was waiting for her outside as she left the hospital.
"Hey Osvaldo, how about we unwind at the Aquarius after a long hard day at work?"

"Such a beautiful view from up here, don't you think?"
"MmHmm," Osvaldo mumbled in reply. Jade smiled seductively. She was well aware that the only view he was noticing was when he gazed into her eyes.



"It's getting late, Jade. We should be going."
Osvaldo led the way onto the elevator.
"I suppose you're right. But it's a long way down. Maybe we can think of ..something.. to do while we are.. alone.. in here all that time.." She whispered seductively in his ear.

"Oh, Osvaldo..."


"How do I look, Emmy?"
"Like a seasoned traveller."
"I can't believe the hospital is sending me to Egypt. To collect bugs of all things. But it can't possibly be that hard. I used to do it with Emilio all the time."
"Have a good trip. Be careful!"
"Don't worry, I will. Tell my favorite nephew I'll bring him back a present!"


Egypt was a big place. Jade had no idea where to start looking for scarab beetles. Maybe she could buy some at the market?
"Do you have any scarab beetles for sale?"
The merchant looked at her as if she had lost her mind.


She finally found a map for sale, with a few locations marked. She wasn't at all sure that the tiny pictures of bugs on the map were scarab beetles, especially when the map led her into an ancient tomb.
"I think this is the right place. Or is it?"


"Ewwww! I did not sign up for this. This was not part of the job description when I took that job at the hospital."
Jade had not realized that hunting scarab beetles in Egypt would be so much harder than catching butterflies at the Esplanade in Bridgeport.


She had been hoping to find the beetles quickly, and head straight for home, but sadly that did not happen. By the end of the first day, she only had located one of the four she needed.



She was dismayed to discover there were no hotels in town. Instead she was directed to a campground just outside the village.
"Really? It's a good thing I'm only gonna be here for three days. I just hope I can find all those dang beetles before I have to leave."


After scouring the  hot desert sands for three days, Jade finally captured the last of those blasted scarab beetles the afternoon of her last day in Egypt. She was never so glad to be heading home as she was that day.

Before she left, she did manage to find an adorable mummy bear for Coal, and a cute little tee shirt as well.
"Look what I brought you from Egypt, sweetie!"


"Tank you, Auntie Jade!"
Coal adored the bear, but the shirt was too big. Emerald put it away in the dresser until he grew into it.


As for the bear, it became Coal's constant companion, and he slept with it every night for longer that he would ever admit to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment