Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gen 6 Ch 4

It was time for Emerald's and Jades joint birthday, so of course Jade had to throw a party. Peri and his family came to celebrate along with Osvaldo. Shana cheered over Tia's shoulder as Orin and Jessica pulled out party horns.


When it came Emerald's turn to make a wish, she glanced out over the crowded room. William hadn't come. She tried to tell herself it was for the best. She should take Jade's advice and forget about him. But it was so hard.


She tried to take her mind off him by reconnecting with her brother.
"How is your baby girl, Peri? Karla, is it?"
"She's great, Emmy. Just took her first steps today. She's the only one of the four who didn't inherit Jessica's err... talents."
"Is Jessica okay with that?"
Peri shrugged uncommittedly. "It's taking her some getting used to."
Emerald nodded. "That's what William said."
She bit her tongue at that thought and changed the subject. Why couldn't she stop thinking of him? She would just have to try harder.


Luckily, Jade broke into the conversation at the moment with an observation that blew all thought of William from her mind.
"You know, sis. I've been thinking. I'm not getting any younger. My biological clock is ticking faster every day. If I ever want to be a mommy, I need to get started. What do you think of Osvaldo? He's smart, a doctor, not too bad looking. I think he'd make a great baby daddy, don't you agree?"
Emerald just stared in shock for a moment.
"Uh.. um.. I guess so.. has he agreed?"
"Oh, not yet. I'm sure that won't be a problem,though."


It was getting late. Jade went back to dancing with her Osvaldo, Peri and Jessica started herding their brood toward the front door, and Emerald was left alone with Coal and her dreams once more.


Jade lost no time in implementing her plan. After the party, Osvaldo was only too eager to spend the night.
"Honey Bunch," Jade began with a smile, "let's do something different tonight. I want a baby, and you'd make such a hot daddy."


"What?? Are you crazy? No way, no how. NO babies!"
Jade was not expecting that reaction.
"Really!? You have got to be kidding me! Why would you not want to give me a baby? It's not like I'm asking for any kind of commitment here."


"Why not? I'll tell you why not. I have a good life. I'm about to retire in a few days, I have a wife at home. I'm not going to ruin all that by becoming a new father at my age."
"Grrr.. Okay then. Just leave."
"My pleasure. Goodbye."
Jade yelled after him as he stormed off, "Oh, and another thing. I quit! Find yourself a new resident to do your dirty work for you! If I never see another scarab beetle again in my life it will be too soon!"


The next day was Coal's birthday, but Emerald was all partied out. She invited William over for cake, but didn't hold out much hope that he would show up. Jade was taking once last chance to snuggle her favorite nephew before he grew up.
"Aww, you are just the sweetest little guy. I want a little guy just like you, but stupid Osvaldo won't help. So you know what your Auntie Jade is gonna do? After your party she is gonna go out and find somebody to help. Auntie Jade wants a baby cousin for you."
"Babee Cuzin!"
"That's right, sweetie. Let's go blow out your candles now."
"Yay! Cake!"


Emerald waited as long as she could, but there was no sign of William. It was getting late, and close to Coal's bedtime, so she finally brought him to the cake.
"Happy Birthday, Sweetheart! Blow out the candles!"


Before she even realized what was happening, the entire cake went up in flames, and her new dining room table with it.


Emerald rushed to carry Coal to safety from the growing wall of flames.
"Call the fire department, Jade!"
But Jade only stood there, paralyzed with fear.
"Jade, run!"


Suddenly a dark figure appeared behind the inferno that used to be the dining room table.


Now Emerald was afraid for a new reason. William moved in perilously close to the crackling blaze as he wielded the fire extinguisher.
"William! Be careful!" she screamed frantically.
"Stay back, everyone, I got this!"


"Is everyone all right? Are you all right?"
For a minute Emerald could only stare blankly into his eyes. She was so happy to see him but still so scared. She was vaguely aware of Coal growing up behind her, but she couldn't take her eyes off William.


Finally she nodded, "Yes, we're all fine. I was so scared. Thank you."
She felt tears of relief starting to fall and wanted nothing more than to throw herself into his arms.


As if reading her thoughts, William pulled her close, and kissed her like he had not since that night long before, the night that Coal was conceived. She could feel once more the underlying passion that had always existed between them, but now was not the time to act on it.
"Mama?"


Coal was way more concerned about the fire, than the fact that the daddy he had only seen once before was back to see him. He couldn't stop talking about it the rest of the evening.
"You were so brave! I hope I'm brave like you when I grow up."



Emerald left them to discuss it while she cleaned up the ruined cake.


Finally Emerald interrupted to insist it was time for bed.
"Aww, do I have to?"
"Listen to your mom, young man. Off to bed with you."
"Will you come back tomorrow then? You were gonna tell me about your job. I wanna know what it's like to be a DNA Profiler."
"Not tomorrow. But soon."


After Emerald tucked Coal into bed, she returned downstairs to William. He again pulled her into a tight embrace, a worried frown still creasing his face.


"It's not working is it?"
"Hmm?"
"The whole not falling in love thing."
"Not so much."



"Stay with me tonight?"
"Yes. Just for tonight. Then we'll see."


"..."

4 comments:

  1. I don't like Coal anymore. No sim is allowed to be cute as a toddler AND a child.

    >_> Why don't mind turn out cute?

    I think Jade is one of my favourite non-heirs ever. She's just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome update! I so want William and Emerald to be together. The single parent rolls are so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! I didn't know birthday cakes could start a fire. Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments you guys :)

    ReplyDelete