Thursday, June 23, 2011

Gen 7 Ch 3


Topaz's birthday party! Raven baked a wonderful lime cobbler for the occasion. Coal wasn't sure how she had come up with using limes in a cobbler, but it was actually quite delicious. Even more so since the limes had come from his own little garden.  As everyone cheered the birthday girl, Coal kept on eye on his Aunt Jade. He didn't like the way she was eying Jarvis dancing on the counter. He hoped she wouldn't do anything to embarrass him.

"Don't look now, Coal, but your Aunt Jade just hopped up on the counter to dance. Trying to imitate your cousin, and at her age!"
"Actually, he's my grandmother's cousin." Coal grinned at the surprised expression on Raven's face. "It's a long story. He used to be a vampire."
"Speaking of relatives, where's you mom and sister gone off to? They're going to miss the excitement."


"I think Mom went upstairs to fetch Tiffanie. She made a bee-line for the video games as soon as she walked in the door."


The gene for that dark red hair is incredibly strong. Happy Birthday, Topaz!


"Beebee!"
The first thing Topaz did was pull out her favorite doll. Coal was a little worried that she seemed so attached to the odd toy, but Raven pointed out that it made her happy. And she certainly was a happy child.


Later that night, Coal was still mulling over what he considered the 'doll problem' as he stopped to use the bathroom. He certainly hadn't meant to disturb his wife while she was in the shower, but now he couldn't take his eyes off her naked form only partially visible through the wavy glass.


"Hey, are you gonna stand out there staring all night, or are you gonna join me in here?"
"Um, I have a choice?"
"Hehe, come here, handsome!"


He hadn't know it was possible to have so much fun in the shower...


Not too long after, they were both overjoyed to discover they were expecting again.


This time around, pregnancy was harder on Raven, and Coal pampered her as much as he could.
'How's that, love? Feel better now?"
"A little. Thanks, hon. I was just thinking how long it's been since I've been able to get out. It seems like forever since I've had a chance to bar tend, and just meet people. But I just hate to leave Topaz with your aunt. I'm sorry to say it, but I just don't trust her with Topaz."


"The last time I went out for a little while in the afternoon, I came home to find your aunt downstairs in her pj's, throwing back drinks while Topaz played on the floor almost under her feet. If she would have stumbled a bit, who knows what might have happened?"


In due time, in the middle of the night, they welcomed a beautiful baby boy into their happy family. They decided to name him Agate. They were a little concerned about leaving Aunt Jade in charge of Topaz while they were at the hospital, but they really had no choice.


Raven was horrified to discover Jade skinny dipping in the hot tub as they arrived home with little Agate. She rushed upstairs to check on Topaz. Thankfully she was sleeping soundly, and totally unaware of anything amiss.


Crystal graduated with honors from her art academy, and arrived home showing off her graduation cap and gown.


"Thanks for encouraging me, Raven. It was everything you said it would be. I've already been offered a job at the film studio! And I've found an apartment, too!"
Crystal had left home an awkward teenager, and returned a confident young woman, ready to strike out on her own.


A baby and a toddler kept Raven too busy to even think about going back to bar tending. She was so thankful for Topaz's doll- it never failed to amuse her while Raven cared for baby brother. So she was thrilled when a similar toy arrived in the mail for Agate.


Coal tried to help as much as he could, but his work at the science facility kept him away more that he would have liked. Still, he always claimed the task of putting Topaz to bed each night. She loved the little art books he would read to her before she went to sleep.
"Time to sleep. Aren't you getting sleepy? Daddy's getting sleepy."
"Jus' a widdle more, daddee. Pwease?"


"Awww... night night sweetie."


"Ohhh.. there are so beautiful, hon. Thank you! What's the occasion?"
"I got a promotion! I'll be working with the government on top secret research. It's a huge pay raise!"


"So I want to take you out to celebrate. You pick the place. Anywhere you want to go. I already asked my aunt. She's been a lot better lately. Topaz is potty trained, and walking and talking now, so she'll be a big help in keeping Agate entertained. I think Aunt Jade will be fine for a few hours. What do you think?"
The thought of spending a few hours alone with Coal quickly overcame her qualms about leaving the kids with Aunt Jade, and so it was decided.


Raven gave Coal a quizzical grimace.
"What are we doing here? This is anywhere near Eugi's."
"Don't worry, we're headed there right after this. First, tell me what you think?"
"Um.. it's an overgrown field?"
"But think about what it could be.. did you know there is no community garden anywhere in Bridgeport? The people of this city deserve better food than what you can buy at the corner store. I've already been saving some of my best seeds, and my dream is to make this plot of land over into a garden for all of Bridgeport to enjoy."


"Oh, Coal. I think that's a awesome idea. It'll take a lot of work, but I'll be happy to help."
Coal's grin almost split his face in two as he replied.
"You're right. It'll be so awesome. I can't wait to get started! Now, off to Eugi's for our date!"


"So what do you think of this place?" Raven asked with a slight smile. "Have you been here before?"
"Nope, I only ever went to the Prosper Room, and that was only because you worked there. I like this place better. A cozier atmosphere, and it seems to be popular."
"The bartender's no good though - did you see how he almost dropped my drink while he was pouring? I could do much better."


"Coal, hon. I have to admit I had an ulterior motive asking to come here tonight. I wanted to see if you liked it, because, well.. it's for sale. I think I could do a great job running it. A lot better than the bartender they have now.  Topaz starts school soon, and Agate's almost a toddler.  It's always been my dream to own a bar. What do you think?"
Coal glanced around, then back to the hopeful smile on his wife's beautiful face.


He knew it would be hard, trying to plan his garden while Raven was busy here, but she had been so supportive of his dream. There was no way he could say no to hers.
"I'm sure you'll make an amazing bar owner, sweetheart. You could even stock the bar with fruit from our garden."


"Oh Coal, thank you, thank you. I love you so much."
"I love you too, sweetheart. I can't wait to see what you do with this place."

No comments:

Post a Comment